CM manual Monitor your country
As country manager, you have specific access to certain data and information, enabling you to monitor what happens for your country within the portal. The published data has to be maintained and properly managed in the future, to enable the users of the Archives Portal Europe to find the most up-to-date information. The following principles should be noted:
- keep the institutions' contact information (i.e. the EAG document) up-to-date. This allows the Archives Portal Europe technical team to manage the portal and ask for help if something is needed; in addition, the users of the Archives Portal Europe may need to contact content providers for more information,
- if any change happens in source data and files such as EAD/XML or EAG/XML files, it is important to upload the latest version of the files as soon as possible; especially if there is a change of identifiers (URL, reference number etc); new data should be updated as soon as possible, this will prevent any missing information and broken links,
- if data is delivered to Europeana and has been updated in the Archives Portal Europe afterwards, it is necessary to also update the Europeana delivery; the Dashboard has to be used to once again convert updated data into EDM and re-deliver it, because the data in Europeana will not be updated automatically,
- if it is needed to delete data from the Archives Portal Europe and/or Europeana, it has to be done using the Dashboard; deactivation of data in the Archives Portal Europe and Europeana needs to be executed separately,
- if the content provider knows the object type of digital objects (<dao>), please try to assign them for all the uploaded files; this gives the user of the Portal and Europeana useful information about the content of the archives; it may take time to do it, because this is normally new information not originally included in Finding Aids, but batch processing will help the content providers to do the job,
- if the content provider would like to display (newly created) thumbnails for the Finding Aids in the "second display" of the Portal (the display of the full Finding Aid),the xlink:title attribute of the corresponding <dao> element needs to have the value "thumbnail"; this will be advantageous when the Finding Aids are also delivered to Europeana, creating <europeana:object> in the EDM records,
- if the content provider would like to include the links to extra information such as the presentation of a complete (or part of a) Finding Aid at their website (the "link to original presentation"), the hyperlinks can be included in the attribute URL accompanying the element <eadid> (for the link to the complete Finding Aid) respectively in the attribute xlink:href of the element <unitid type=”call number”><extptr> (for the link to one specific component of the Finding Aid).
Finally: a Country Manager always has all relevant statistics about the content of the institutions of his/her country at his/her disposal via the Dashboard option "Download Country Statistics": when clicking on that Dashboard link all information will be gathered in 'real time' and offered for download in an Open Office Calc file (see figure below).